Monday, January 21, 2013

Morgan Articles


            This article really put culture into perspective for me. I have never heard of the five dimensions of culture, but they perfectly described the different aspects of what culture is. As I was reading through the different dimensions, I thought about my own culture and how it relates to me. I thought about all the different artifacts that my family and people in my religion have taken in because we are members of our culture. There are many different practices we partake in as a culture and that is a huge part of who we are. The different ceremonies, events, parties, celebrations, holidays, etc. are all part of the practices and traditions we partake in every year. The perspectives of a culture are all the beliefs and values the community has towards their culture. The community is the group of people that carry on the cultural practices and passes them on from generation to generation. The community is what makes the culture stay alive and it is how the traditions are passed on from generation to generation. The persons are the individual members of the culture. I am a person that keeps my culture going because I believe in everything my religion and culture is about.
            The articles talked about how language is everywhere, but when it comes to the classroom setting, language and culture need to be treated separately otherwise it becomes too complex. When you are learning a language, students learn the culture along with it, but not at the same time. It is not wise to teach the culture while teaching the language. Culture is something that can be picked up or understood quickly once you are learning the language. It is smart for teachers to use language in order for the students to learn the culture that goes with it. I think students, especially young ones, can quickly pick up on language and as long as they can do that, I believe culture comes right along with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment