Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hinkel, Kumar, Wintergerst


           I really liked how the beginning of Kumar’s article started. It started with some quotes that got me thinking about what culture is and how it is viewed differently amongst everyone. I liked the quote from Mary Catherine Bateson, “…cultural gap between members of different generations within the same family…” (Kumar, 8). I have found this statement to be very within my own family. Everyone in my family believes in our religion and cultural background, but there is definitely a gap between the generations. My grandparents have very different views on what should be practiced than do my parents than do my siblings and I. Although it sometimes causes conflicts within the family, when it comes down to it, we all believe in many of the same things within our culture and share all of our traditions together.
            It is a teacher’s job and it is important to apply what the kids have learned in the classroom to their lives outside the classroom. I liked learning about the different techniques to help students reduce stress with cultural adjustments. I think it is important to help students learn different cultures that are being practiced by other students or where they currently live, but it is extremely important to let the students keep their culture and identity with them. You as a teacher do not want your students to lose their identity especially when they are new to the area. You want your students to feel comfortable in your classroom and making them comfortable with their own culture and everyone else’s culture will make them feel that much more comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment