Monday, September 24, 2012

brown ch. 4 & 16 kumar ch. 3


         I thought chapter 16 was the most interesting, I could relate to some of the information, and it will be very helpful to me when I get into my field. One thing it talked about that I thought would be helpful is the “10 commandments” for good language learning. There are so many components that go into being a good language learner and a lot of them are talked about in the 10 commandments. I think a teacher should go by these when teaching students another language because it really tells them how to make them feel more comfortable and competent in their new target language. Fear is a really big characteristic that many first time learners experience when starting a new language because they fear that they will make a mistake.
         When I was learning Spanish, as a second language, I was always scared to raise my hand and talk because I did not want to make a mistake. I felt that my teacher did not do the best job of making me feel comfortable in the classroom to participate and work on my oral production of Spanish. Due to the fact I was never comfortable in my Spanish classes, I never developed the second language that was intended. If my teacher had used something like the 10 commandments than she could have helped me and other classmates become more comfortable in the classroom to express ourselves and become more fluent in our target language. If teachers do not start their year off with “commandments” or ideas of how to help their students become good language learners, then what can they do later on in the year to help their students succeed?
         Also, I found the information on how to teach strategies in the classroom to be helpful. It is really important to engage your students in your lesson for the day. Students learn much more when they are interacting with other students and they are engaged in the activity. Students learning a second language especially need to be interacting with others because it is one of the only ways they can improve their language skills. When they speak out loud and talk with the teacher or other classmates, they are able to get feedback and corrected which helps them improve for the future. How can you teach a classroom full of beginner students a new language without getting them engaged in activities and interacting with their peers?
         I am currently in a classroom with two year olds and I have found that the best way for them to learn is through hands on experiences. They have been working on their colors, so we do art projects with them using the color of the day. Whenever I play with puzzles with them or toys, I constantly ask them what color a certain piece is or what number is on that toy, so that they are learning while playing. For younger children, they are not always aware that they are actually learning something while playing and that is sometimes the best way to do it.
         All of the principles discussed in chapter 4 were also closely related to everything discussed in the other two chapters. It was more principles related to how students can be successful learners in the classroom and then be able to bring it outside the classroom. All of these should be taken into account when I become a teacher for students learning a new language. One of the biggest factors that go into how a student learns is the way a teacher teaches and what track they take to teach their students.
         My biggest challenge becoming a teacher will be to accommodate all of my student’s different needs into my lessons. It is necessary that every student is taken into account so that no one slips through the cracks and begins to fall behind because you did not accommodate them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment