Sunday, March 24, 2013

3.24


            I was really shocked and found it interesting that some African Americans identify themselves with Blackness. I have never heard of that term before. I was also surprised by the fact that they communicate with each other by saying certain phrases and then they realize that they both identify with Blackness. I think I was most surprised because I cannot think of any phrases I would say to someone else that would identify myself with them. I cannot think of a phrase I would say to someone White that no one else would identify with. I think it is a cool way to communicate with others and notice that you both identify with the same people and probably culture and values. I think there are many White people or Hispanic and the list could go on that could identify themselves with some of the things that African Americans do, so I am not sure what the difference is with the Blackness identity.
            One big problems that is always present with the TESOL profession is cultural stereotypes. Kumar’s article talked about stereotypes associated with students from Asia, however, there are so many unfortunate stereotypes that these students pick up. As we have talked about before, they can pick up stereotypes from their families, friends, textbooks, teachers, the media, etc. It is part of our jobs as TESOL educators to avoid these stereotypes when teaching and to help the students steer away from any types of stereotypes because a lot of them are not accurate.
            I think an important task to think about in the classroom understands the backgrounds/cultures of different students so that you can incorporate how they learn well in the classroom. For example, in Kumar’s article he talks about how teachers are aware of Asian students culture, so they can help them learn in the classroom environment. I was kind of shocked to read the stereotypes Kumar had to say about Asian culture. I personally had never heard of some of them and was shocked to hear of such stereotypes. The Asian culture is perfectly capable of critical thinking. Everyone can think critically especially when they are asked to at school. It boggles my mind to hear some of these stereotypes and that they are still being “spread” and talked about by many people.
            I have strong feelings about stereotyping, especially in the classroom and with your students. I do not want to put any preconceived ideas in their head about what I think or know about another culture. A lot of stereotypes are rude, not true, or blown out of proportion. If you are going to teach students about different cultures, then you should be teaching them the real facts about it. Better yet, you could have students talk and teach the class about their own culture, so you are getting real facts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment