Sunday, February 17, 2013

2.17


             I found many of the facts about ESL and NES students writing to be factual and similar to what I have observed with my ESL students in the clinical I am in. My students depend on illustrations in the books we are reading and other texts to figure out words they do not know. Many times they just look at me and expect me to tell them what the word is because they do not know. When my students are given assignments, they also rely heavily on background texts and information, so they have a clearer understanding of what they are going to do an assignment on or reading.
            Another thing I have observed from my students is how they struggle with vocabulary while they are writing and while they are reading. Many of my students struggle with vocabulary because they do not know what some words means in English, but are able to say it in Spanish; that becomes a barrier with them and me because I do not speak Spanish and I’m not able to help them translate. When they are writing something or creatively writing, it is difficult to help them come up with an English word when they only know it in Spanish. They become very resourceful and use each other for help because some have a bigger vocabulary than others. However, when they are reading something to me I am able to help describe a word they do not understand, so they can put a description and picture to the word.    
            According to the Silva article, they believed that ESL writing was simpler in the eyes of the NES judges. They struggle from having a smaller vocabulary than an NES student and they tend to not revise and reread what they have written. I have found that my students struggle mostly with writing because of the language barrier and they cannot think of how to say a word in English. However, they are capable of writing good, complete sentences. I think ESL learners would have a better “reputation” if they were taught the skills to revise their work and good writing skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment